This post contains affiliate links. This means if you click the link and buy something, I may receive a small percentage of sales at no extra cost to you. Thanks for supporting Green With Decor!
Christmas decorating is my favorite kind of seasonal decorating. There’s just something about having twinkling lights everywhere that makes this time of year seem extra special and magical.
I’m excited to share my family room as part of the One Room Christmas Tour hosted by Tiffany of The House Down the Lane. 20 other bloggers are sharing a Christmas room from their homes, too, so be sure to pop over to their blogs. The links are at the bottom of this post.
We spend the most time in our family room, so I wanted to be sure this room was decked out and cozy for the holidays!
My 5 must haves for Christmas decorating are …
1. A meaningful Christmas tree
I love a Christmas tree with ornaments that mean something.
Growing up, my grandparents gave me and my two brothers each an ornament every year that had held a special memory from the year – a sport we played, a vacation we took, a dog for our first pet … it’s so much fun to look through all the ornaments on my parents’ tree.
Kalen and I have started a pretty good collection of ornaments that mean something to us. You can read more about our favorite ornaments here!
2. Cozy throw pillows
I do love my throw pillows! They are such an easy (and inexpensive) way to add some holiday cheer to a room.
Especially if they’re just pillow covers like these awesome ones I bought at TJ Maxx a few weeks ago. Then you can use the pillows throughout the year with different seasonal covers.
3. Family pieces
I love collecting little trees and Santas, both of which you’ll see plenty of in my full Christmas house tour. This little red tinsel tree is one of my faves.
Both collections started with pieces from my grandparents, who are oh so special to me, so having pieces they used to decorate their house with makes it even sweeter. My Grandpop passed away in February, so this will be the first Christmas without him. It’ll be weird, so it’s nice to have things around the house that remind me of him.
There’s something about this cozy nights at home when the tree lights are twinkling that is perfect. Candles give off a similar glow and make the house smell great.
I’m a big fan of the Cinnamon candles. And by big fan, I mean it’s the only scent I ever buy. (Is it just me, or do some of the candle scents they come up with these days smell so weird?)
5. Pieces that mean something to you
It’s easy to get caught up in the fancy decorations and expensive gifts, but hey, that’s not what Christmas is about.
I’m a big fan of the word ‘believe.’ This is especially apparent around Christmas. Believe in the season!
How do you decorate your favorite rooms for Christmas? What are your must haves?
Remember to hop around and look at the other bloggers’ beautifully decorated homes!
1. Casa Watkins ~ Winter Home Tour, Part 3
2. Kolb Corner ~ Christmas Dining Room Tour and Holiday Homes Blog Hop
3. Green with Decor ~ 5 Must Haves for Christmas Decorating: The Family Room Christmas Tour
4. Karen’s Up On the Hill ~ Holiday Hallway and Holiday Homes Blog Hop
5. Twelve on Main ~ Farmhouse Christmas Dining Room Tour
6. The House Down the Lane ~ Holiday Homes Blog Hop: Red and White Christmas Dining Room
7. Creatively Homespun ~ A Vintage Christmas Dining Room
8. 2 Bees in a Pod ~ Guest Room Christmas Home Tour
9. Sew a Fine Seam ~ Dining Room Decked Out For Christmas
10. Knock It Off Crafts ~ Holiday Homes Blog Hop: Festive Master
11. Vintage Paint and More ~ Christmas Home Tour 2015, Part 1
12. Inside the Fox Den ~ 2015 Holiday Homes
13. Penny Love Projects ~ Holiday Home Tour
14. Made In a Day ~ Mini Holiday Decor Tour
15. Refashionably Late ~ Holiday Home Hop
16. Pretty Practical Home ~ Simple (and Cheap) Holiday Porch Decor – Holiday Homes Blog Hop
17. Intelligent Domestications ~ Christmas Traditions Home Tour 2015
18. Our Crafty Mom ~ Outdoor Holiday Decor: Front Entry
19. Lehman Lane ~ Green and Gold Christmas Dining Room
20. C’mon, Get Crafty ~ 2015 Holiday Homes Blog Hop
21. 2015 Holiday Homes Blog Hop – Festive Family Room ~ Holiday Home Tour 2015